If you’re looking for an affordable place to live, California probably isn’t the state for you. “U.S. News and World Report” has released their list of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. in 2023-2024 and the top 10 is dominated by cities in the Golden State.
- The cities are rated on median gross rent and annual housing costs, along with desirability, quality of life and the job market.
- The report notes that the cities at the top of the list require the most amount of wealth for people to be able to live comfortably.
- Topping the list is San Diego, California, making it the most expensive city in the country to live in.
- While it scores high for quality of life, its inflation rate and the cost of gas, as well as living costs all add up to it being so expensive.
- According to the report, home prices in San Diego are well above the national median sale price.
- "Living in San Diego is not particularly affordable," the report reads. “San Diegans are willing to pay these elevated prices, though, often referring to the cost-of-living differences as the ‘sunshine tax,’ or the price of enjoying a year-round temperate climate.”
- New York City narrowly misses the top 10, landing at number 11 overall.
The 10 Most Expensive Places to Live in the U.S.
- San Diego, California
- Los Angeles, California
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Miami, Florida
- Santa Barbara, California
- San Francisco, California
- Salinas, California
- Santa Rosa, California
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Vallejo and Fairfield, California
Source: U.S. News and World Report
- You know these places are insanely expensive if NYC doesn’t even make the top 10!
- Do you live in any of these most expensive cities? What makes it worth it to you?
- Where’s the most expensive place you’ve ever lived? What made it so pricey?